Saturday, November 28, 2009

I'm home

Today was my first day out in the sunshine. We left the hospital for home. It was a hot day for that. But life in the hospital was getting quite stressful for all of us. Firstly, my sister couldn't be with us most of the day. She was only able to spend 3-4 hours a day with me and mommy without heavily interrupting her own day. Secondly, mommy was getting stressed unable to simply relax and unwind in her favourite couch, eating her favourite desert.

If mommy had her way, we would have left yesterday. My paediatrician gave me all clear. Mommy got hers from her obstetrician. Only thing remained was some final practice rounds of breastfeeding under the guidance of the lactation consultant. So we extended it by a day. Before I start getting into too much details on leaving the hospital, let me give you guys a summary of how it all went in the beginning.

As you know, it was a planned delivery on 24th with an estimated arrival time of 8 am. Mommy and daddy turned up in the hospital pretty much on schedule. But it looked like the ops prior to ours were running late. When it finally finished, mommy started to get ready. Just about the time she was to be administered with the anaesthesia, an emergency case rushed into the theatre, pushing us further back. You know what it means, I had to wait longer.

Finally at about 11 am, mommy got into the theatre and I arrived at 11.10 am. Well, my gender was a surprise - that's how my parents planned it. As the doctor pulled me out of my mommy's tummy, my dad noticed first - he's got another little princess. Mommy was too sedated by the pain-killer. But as soon as that started to wear off, she joined with daddy in appreciating the sweetness of the moment. They were both so excited to see me.

Mommy had gestational diabetes. Which meant for the first 24-hours I had to be kept under the close observation of the special care nursery. But that was just formalities. As soon as I had my first feed within the first hour, my sugar level jumped up to right where it needed to be and continued to improve throughout the day. By day 2, I was back in my mommy's room sleeping right next to her.

So, apart from my beautiful look, what else were my parents impressed with me? Well, I am possibly the gentlest newborn ever. Apart from making them know I am hungry periodically, I pretty much sleep through the rest of the time. Sleeping is a no-fuss event as well. I love being swaddled (unlike my sister) and so my sleeping ritual is as simple as being swaddled and be in the cot.

I had quite a few visitors in the hospital; and lots of beautiful flowers and gifts delivered. My sister is quite excited being with me too. She knows I am a 'baby' and she always showers me with cuddles, kisses and occasional taps on me to put me to sleep. She is less interested in her toy 'baby' now - since I have arrived. She even calls in mom or dad if she sees me crying. I am looking forward to starting to play with her.

So back to coming back home - now that I am in a far relaxed environment, I am loving every moment of it. And you know how I express my love - I sleep through it. I am getting plenty of sleep. I had a bit of yellow shade on my skin - most newborns have that. But it started to go off as I get exposed to more light.

So, an exciting chapter of my life has began. What can me more exciting than the beginning? Keep coming back and I will keep you posted how it all goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment